TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Chittum Skiffs

Chittum Skiffs Thread, ISLAMORADA 18 boat review by Capt Rob Fordyce in TribeNwater Boats; "I started guiding anglers on the flats of South Florida almost 25 years ago. I've seen a lot of changes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

ISLAMORADA 18 boat review by Capt Rob Fordyce

"I started guiding anglers on the flats of South Florida almost 25 years ago. I've seen a lot of changes in this sport since the early days. The rods and reels have become state of the art, the navigational aids (GPS's) are like something from the future, and the skiffs have become lighter, stronger, and more stealthy than ever before. On a not so positive note, the fish have become incredibly spooky and sensitive to fishing pressure. Even the stealthiest of boats with a skilled approach can still be a challenge to get a shot at fish on the flats today. The boat manufacturers have tried to keep up with this problem by making their boats quieter and lighter. I, myself have designed some of the modern skiffs you see on the water today. Though these skiffs are much better than their predecessors, they all share one common problem: compromise. They all have a compromise that varies from, not having a smooth or dry ride to not having enough dry storage or rod rack room. Whatever the compromise may be, they all have it, period. Hal Chittum decided we didn't have to live with compromise. He spent over 7 years designing his Islamorada 18 and it shows with every detail. The workmanship and design of this skiff is flawless. The ride feels like a Cadillac. Though the boat feels and rides big, once you pull the throttle back, and begin your hunt with the pushpole, the boat becomes light and maneuverable. More importantly, the displacement in the water from the hull seems to leave the skiff at the stern, instead of the bow or midships like every other skiff. This effect is huge when stalking spooky fish. I used the Islamorada 18 while bonefishing recently for 7 days. We caught and released 32 bonefish on fly. I was able to catch fish closer than ever before, use less gas each day, and finish the day not feeling beat up or fatigued. One of my favorite memories taken from the 7 days I fished the boat was I didn't have to clean salt off my glasses once. Let me repeat that, I didn't have to clean salt off my glasses once. "No Bull****" . Thanks Hal for not settling for compromise."

Capt. Rob Fordyce
(305) 970 - 0177

Attached Thumbnails
rob-fordyce.jpg  

Last edited by Capt Cowdog; 02-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Capt Cowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rob's just not the same without his "Darkside" T.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
JRH

Did they arm wrestle after that photo was taken?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Somebody tell Hal that they sell shirts in 2x, damn!

nice looking boat though
Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

They are nice looking.
IRLyRiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlyriser View Post
they are nice looking.
thanks
GSAW is offline   Reply With Quote