TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Chittum Skiffs

Chittum Skiffs Thread, My SS skiff in TribeNwater Boats; I finally decided to build my own Islamorada 18 but with a few changes and wondering what you guys think ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My SS skiff

2014-01-25-14.36.20.jpg

I finally decided to build my own Islamorada 18 but with a few changes and wondering what you guys think about it. Might try and market it down the road if there is interest, but like I said this is my own boat for now. Should be done in a couple of months as its being built in between clients boats at the moment.

SS 2 degree hull, No hatches, no liner-floor, only enough front and aft bulkheads for support and rod tube holes, possibly no tubes, just holes for the rod tips.

I am going lighter on the layup on the hull due to hp max at 50hp

Removable 6 gallon fuel tank, set up for three tanks, two forward one aft for extended trips and one up front for short trips.

I plan to start out with a 20hp tiller so I can fish the no motor zones and a 50hp later that I will keep in the garage on a stand for ease of changing when I want some speed.

Aluminium trim tabs, lighter then our standard tabs.

Going Tohatsu for the 15 inch shaft....

The object is to be a plain jane and as light as possible.....
GSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looks confusing in it's present state?

If no hatches, why have the cut out for the hatches?

Where is the seating for operating the tiller?

Is this your project or Hal's?
Net 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net 30 View Post
Looks confusing in it's present state?

If no hatches, why have the cut out for the hatches?

Where is the seating for operating the tiller?

Is this your project or Hal's?

The deck is pulled out of the same mold we do all our skiffs from and it has hatch drains. When infused we have to make a complete deck then we cut the hatch drains out. Then we will come in and add core and glass to get the same camber as our other boats.

I plan on standing and leaning on the poling platform for now.....

It's my project!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

What is the SS number

When you refer to SS, what is your expected real draft fully rigged with two fishermen? With all the hoopla on the Chittum price and draft I think you'll build a following over time. I look forward to following your progress for my personal education.

Thank you

Last edited by Texas Yankee; 03-06-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
When you refer to SS, what is your expected real draft fully rigged with two fishermen? With all the hoopla on the Chittum price and draft I think you'll build a following over time. I look forward to following your progress for my personal education.

Thank you

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been traveling but did finish closing in the hatches and now ready to start paint and non skid on the deck.

I was going to build this skiff without a liner/floor but after doing the math on labor and materials I decided to go with our liner from the mold we have but still cut the bulkheads out.

As I said I am building my own boat here so it will take me some time to complete, but I'm building it a bit different then our regular Islamorada 18s. Since it will only take a 50hp short shaft I am changing the laminates to be lighter then our standard boats that are built to take a 150hp. I can't tell you until the boat is finished what it will draft or how much one would cost to build if someone is interested in the same rig yet, but it will be the lightest I18 SS built so far. Hopefully I get time to complete it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-4.jpg  

Last edited by GSAW; 06-18-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Looks nice and skinny. I fished with Gregg Arnold while home and I believe he eluded to changes to come. As with many fishermen cost is an issue even when it's not. I had been focused on a used HB Whip but recently started following one of Harry Spears builds, (Glade X) and I'm about as committed as committed could be for a build in Dec for Feb Delivery. On the flip side, I'll keep following your build and am very interested to see the final build rigged and the price. A new Whip is in excess of $45 K when you're done.
Thanks,
Texas Yankee
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
Looks nice and skinny. I fished with Gregg Arnold while home and I believe he eluded to changes to come. As with many fishermen cost is an issue even when it's not. I had been focused on a used HB Whip but recently started following one of Harry Spears builds, (Glade X) and I'm about as committed as committed could be for a build in Dec for Feb Delivery. On the flip side, I'll keep following your build and am very interested to see the final build rigged and the price. A new Whip is in excess of $45 K when you're done.
Thanks,
Texas Yankee
We are about to start the hull this week, we are running a bit behind as one of our lead guys was bit by a Pygmy Rattler last week....

If I had to guess at this point what I am building will be about $43K, should have exact numbers soon, still a work in progress. Side console, Tohotsu 50- 15 inch shaft, 12 gallon removable fuel tank,room for second under back deck, galvanized trailer, running lights, compass..... Pretty plain Jane except Carbon Fiber rod racks.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

finished

Should have added some more photos but better late then never...
Attached Thumbnails
img_7644.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

SS pics

Console and fuel tank....
Attached Thumbnails
img_5830.jpg   img_5758.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Looks nice and simple…nicely done. Love to see a profile shot…...

Any specs like weight, draft and final cost of the build?