TribeNwater

TribeNwater (http://www.tribenwater.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hell's Bay Darkside Association (http://www.tribenwater.com/forums/hells-bay-darkside-association/)
-   -   2000 Whipray Restoration (http://www.tribenwater.com/forums/hells-bay-darkside-association/3198-2000-whipray-restoration.html)

Icarus 07-08-2014 07:13 AM

2000 Whipray Restoration

5 Attachment(s)
Well guys after suffering from back issues for more than 4 years now, I have decided to move to a lighter HB all purpose skiff. I began my search by looking at a new HB Whipray Classic and in the end decided to look for a good condition Pre-2002 Whipray Islamorada and restore it back to new condition. After searching multiple websites twice a day and looking at every Whipray that hit the market for the past two years I finally purchased a 2000 Whipray Islamorada with a side console and a Mercury 60 hp 2 stroke this past weekend. While the skiff is in great condition currently I have decided to send it directly into the shop for some extensive restorations and upgrades. My goal is to bring this skiff back to new condition, keeping it as simple and as light as possible. I know how much everyone enjoyed my post on the building of my 2011 18 Waterman titled A History of my Hells Bay Under Construction http://www.tribenwater.com/forums/he...struction.html so I decided to include you all in the rebuild of this classic skiff as well. Attached below are the before photos of the skiff for reference. I hope you enjoy the process.

Icarus 07-08-2014 07:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More Photos

Icarus 07-08-2014 07:38 AM

Below is a list of the work I am considering for the skiff. Yes I could go out and fish the skiff as is. However, I would like to bring this beauty back to its original condition so I don't have to do anything else to it for years to come. I am very interested to hear your opinions and thoughts so feel free to chime in. This should be interesting. So here you go.

Replace old style rubber drain plug with new version
Remove older style push pole caddy and patch holes
Replace Seadek on polling platform (Color to be determined)
Replace Seadek on casting platform (Color to be determined)
Remove, patch and refinish bow mount pop up running light, trolling motor mount, toe rails and gps
Respray the Awlgrip Non-skid for entire cap and cockpit
New Seat Cushion (Cream)
Fix all gel-coat scratches and unnecessary screw holes in the hull
Buff the hull for like new finish
Remove all non Hells Bay original stickers
Gelcoat any scratches on the interior of lids and hatches
Replace controls with new Mercury controls
Remove peeling paint on Mercury outboard and refinish
Remove peeling paint on Mercury outboard bracket and refinish
Full Replumb of all drains eliminating, patching and refinishing the front drain plugs
Replace the under gunnel carpet with Seadek (Color to be determined)
Add Seastar hydraulic steering
Add Lavorski LED shark eye running lights
Replace older Ramlin galvanized trailer with a new HB Ramlin aluminum trailer

Flats50 07-08-2014 07:50 AM

Hey,

Will be showing before and after photos?

Icarus 07-08-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flats50 (Post 19886)
Hey,

Will be showing before and after photos?

Yes, I will be sharing photos and updates throughout the entire process.

Flats50 07-08-2014 08:59 AM

Look forward to them.

Monzi 07-08-2014 11:36 AM

Looking forward to your improvements

I own a '99 Whipray with a 40 Mercury. The boat is in great shape. I have owned the boat 8 years. I love it. I too could make some minor improvements. My side carpet is original and still looks good, but I have wondered about Sea Deck. So you like Sea Deck on the poling and casting platforms?
Keep us posted.
Thanks

Snookdaddy 07-08-2014 12:33 PM

Opinion:

You should consider having the pull bolts on the hatches removed and patched and install Southco "cam lock" latches. You'll never have to worry about your back hatch flying open when trailering. In addition, the front hatch will not bounce when running in choppy conditions with the front casting platform installed. These latches come standard on HB's now.

I think you have everything covered on your punch list.

I don't know if you're having HB do you work, but you should check out some of the incredible work that Jonathan Glasser "Glasser Boatworks" does on HB's. Here's a link to his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.glasser.5 Click on his photo section and see some of his artwork. He's done a little work on my 2002 Waterman and major work on a couple of friends HB's and we have all been blown away with his meticulous detail work. He used to be @ HB, knows these skiff inside and out and does all of the work himself. A true craftsman and artist.

He's the only person that I'll allow to work on my skiff. His work is that good.

Monzi,

Seadek makes a world of difference on the platforms. Durable, additional cushioning and provide excellent grip when wet. I've had them both HB's that I've owned and consider it a "must have" item, even though I like the minimalist approach on my skiffs.

Topcat 07-08-2014 01:13 PM

Congrats on your score of this classic! Look forward to the update pics. Thanks for sharing.

Snookdaddy 07-08-2014 01:29 PM

Icarus,

Here's a link to a friend's Whipray that was refurbed by Jonathan Glasser. You can see that his boat required more work than yours, but you can get a good idea of the quality of work with before, during and after pictures.

microskiff.com - 2001 Hells Bay Whipray 16 Restore

You may even decide to copy and paste your rebuild on that site too. A lot of crazy HB guys there and they would love to see your refurb.