TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, Re-power in TribeNwater Boats; I am thinking about re-powering my 2001 Hells Bay Waterman 18. It currently has a 2001 mercury 60 2 stroke ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Re-power

I am thinking about re-powering my 2001 Hells Bay Waterman 18. It currently has a 2001 mercury 60 2 stroke on the back. I have had a number of problems with it and am tired of taking in and out of the water to work on it. that being said:

What is the smallest/largest HP I would be confortable with and what would be ideal? I had a 4 stroke 15 yamaha and loved it. but that is where my experience with different engines stops. i am not opposed to something used as i can handle alot of the mechanical tune-ups and so on. I am just looking for a few suggestions.

i posted a while back about this fixer-uper i came accross and only have a few more things installed/cleaned (trolling motor, powerpole, casting deck...the list goes on..) and i will post some "after" pictures.
Thalassia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
mwk
Banned

You need 15in or 20in shaft?

If you need 15in I would think Twatshu would be your best bet. About the only ones left making a 15in shaft
mwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thats another good question. any thoughts on shaft length. i have a jackplate on it. i am having overheating issues with the current motor. i have changed the impeller, thermostat, yadayada... i believe the motor is mounted too high (it is on the lowest mounting holes) that is my next thing to try just have to wait for a buddy to come over with a motor lift.
Thalassia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the same setup on my 17.8 and I think I would prob get a 4 stroke 60 yamaha. If you want a little more speed maybe a 90 yamaha 2 stroke.
Ross R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

IRLyRiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

have the 60 4 stroke merc on the 18 waterman and it's been perfect. Enuf power to move 2-3 fat guys and still burns no fuel. I can't burn a tank. Prop it right and yer done. I think a used 03 is like 3800 bucks or less.I don't overheat but I don't run a jackplate. Good luck
Capt Cowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you are gonna add the weight, add the ballz. Go for the 90 2 stroke before the 60 4 stroke. I have a 90 hp two stroke merc on my 17.8 and wouldnt change it for anything! Definatley dont go smaller than a 60 for an 18.

I am gonna look at the e-tec motors when I re power my skiff. How do you like yours Mikey?

I would ditch the jack plate if you can when you do the swap, you dont need it to get performance out of these boats and it just adds weight and defeats the purpose of the sponsons. Thats why HB doesn't recommend them. I will go anywhere a similar boat with a jack plate can go in my skiff

4 strokes just dont do it for HB's IME, atleast if you have ever owned one with a two stroke and know the difference in performance. Nothing worse than a great boat with the wrong power!
Capt Billy Rotne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
mwk
Banned

Like the etec.

Love the JP
mwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

You can't get 90 carb 2 stroke Merc's new anymore. Only Opti's. Go for J/P, 30 or 40 lbs isn't that much.
Here is a 90 for sale:
2007 Mercury 90 Hp 2 stroke
IRLyRiser is offline   Reply With Quote