TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, repowering a 16 in TribeNwater Boats; Looks like there's a fair few people on this forum that either own or spend time on some of the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

repowering a 16

Looks like there's a fair few people on this forum that either own or spend time on some of the original whipray 16s powered by merc 25 tillers. I cruise mine around 24 MPH and can get about 30 with me and another angler, which isn't bad but there's still times where I'd like to be able run a bit faster.

I've been mentally toying with the idea of upgrading to a 40 tiller (merc most likely) but wonder if the extra weight will negatively affect the boat's performance on the pole. I've talked about this some with Capt. John Kipp in the Keys, who's been running whiprays since they came out. He went to a 40 tiller a year or so ago and seems to like it. However, he's got one of the last 2-strokes which is lighter than the 4 stroke.

Anyone one have any experience on whips that have been repowered with bigger tiller engines?
Jason S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I repowered my '99 whipray with a Tohatsu 50hp TLDI. It poles just fine with the added weight. It was very tough trying to find a short shaft with everything that I wanted(trim/tilt, electric start) from Merc or Yamaha.
captlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

He might see a gain of 10 mph. Its a gain of 37% hp. But also 100 lbs. The 4 stroke Merc 30 only weighs 61 lbs more, a little more power without all the weight. The flyway 25 is pretty cool looking: Mercury Marine | Engines | Outboards | FourStrokes | Power & Performance | 25 - 30 hp | Specifications
IRLyRiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think for fishing down in the keys and the mingo areajust a tad more speed would be nice, but go with a 50 tdli tohatsu if your going to upgrade. i think thats the only 50hp in a short shaft.
orlgheenoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

oh and I think a merc 25 2 stroke will outrun any 30hp 4 stroke everyday of the week
orlgheenoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

John Kipp reports that he's getting around 36 top end and cruising around 32 with his 40 2-stroke.

I definitely don't want to totally screw up the center of gravity. I really like the fact that boat has such a small footprint and floats in practically nothing. But, an extra 8-10 cruise would help me chase the tide a little better in Flamingo and the Keys.
Jason S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wouldn't trade my 25hp on the Waterman for a 40hp but I mostly fish the goon. For your area it might be nice to have the extra 5 mph. I'm not sure where you fish mainly...but if super skinny draft is not an issue I dont think it will ruin the boat or anything like that. Seems like its really a question of whether you can sacrifice some draft for extra speed. Like captlav said it should pole fine...I have never heard anyone complain about a Whipray with a 40 or 50hp.
brew1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
mwk
Banned

Chaz has no problems with draft on his boat with a huge 40 merc
mwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwk View Post
Chaz has no problems with draft on his boat with a huge 40 merc
phlatsphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
mwk
Banned

mwk is offline   Reply With Quote