TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, Gas Tank Replacment Repair? in TribeNwater Boats; Seems to me that Hells bay ought to take some responsibility for the tank replacement. I own a 2001 whipray ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Seems to me that Hells bay ought to take some responsibility for the tank replacement. I own a 2001 whipray I bought a little while back. Talked to Tom G. before I purchased, as a friend made me aware of the problems they have with the tanks. Tom felt like if you put a little soapy fresh water on the tank if you got saltwater in the hatch etc. (take one over bow), you wouldn't have an issue. My two cents is that a boat that is supposed to be the best, shouldn't have this kind of issue in the first place. We all now you can not foresee everything that could go wrong, but that doesn't mean it isn't a design/manufacturing/hells bay goof up. I feel that is part of the risk of manufacturing boats. They should take more responsibility making that right. As you can tell, I bought the boat even though I knew of the issue. It is by far the best boat I have eve poled. This is my humble opinion anyway. I hope this does't ruffle to many feathers here.

Jack Smith
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

I just spent the last month replacing my leaky tank in my 2002 whipray. I have pictures to post but cant figure it out is someone wants to help.
The hardest part is removing the old tank piece by piece. I didnt want to cut int the hull. So the biggest tank you can put back in through the hatch is a Moeller Product # 032512
12 gallon poly. This project is not for the feint of heart or someone who is not familiar with advanced DIY projets.
My 60hp 4 stroke will run all day on 6 gallons of gas so a 12 is not a problem. It came out great and looks like a factory install with no corners cut but glad its over!!!
debbykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

easiest way to post photos is a photobucket account. Upload the photos, click on the image selection and paste over here. otherwise click on my name and email them to me and I will post as long as it isn't too many.
brew1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1891 View Post
easiest way to post photos is a photobucket account. Upload the photos, click on the image selection and paste over here. otherwise click on my name and email them to me and I will post as long as it isn't too many.
Please post photos...

My Gordon Waterman 16' is currently set up with 2) 6 gal. portable tanks under the front deck (The previous owner wanted to keep the skiff as light as possible) and I'm thinking about installing a permanent tank in the near future.

What made you decide to use a plastic Moeller tank as opposed to an aluminum tank custom made to fit inside your hatch opening?

I would especially like to see pictures of how you mounted and fastened your tank inside the front compartment.

My main reason to install a permanent tank is to reduce the amount of fumes I get under the front deck. I'll run a vent on the side of the hull.. Currently, the portable tank vents into the compartment and I'm afraid a spark from a battery may cause trouble, so I'm very reluctant to install a trolling motor with the current setup..

Email Brew or me the pics and we'll put them up if you have problems with photobucket.

Thank you,

Bob
Snookdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Ill get the pics posted next week. I went with a poly tank because I wanted to not have alum/white rust problems again. The tank was only about $150 and the fill tube on this tank is set up in perfect alignment to center under the factory fill line up through the deck. its is actually the perfect tank and barely fits in throught the front hatch. The old tank has alum angles on the ends that are fiberglassed into the hull. Once the tank is cut out I made two new angles from the old tank and inserted them inot the existing fiberglassed 'pockets' in the hull and then attached them to a 1" thick fiberglass catwalk material to create a level floor for the new tank. The one inch material makes the new floor perfectly level with the existing battery tray floor.

4150 and the fill tube ia
debbykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Its funny I saw this post before I bought my 2002 17.8 Whipray and always had it in the back of my mind, the gas tank leaking. Well it came true this summer after 4 years of owning boat. I finally got it to HB and Paul over in service did a great job. They cut out old tank and installed a new smaller tank. It fit through the hatch without having to cut glass. Tank went from 21 to 18 gallons, worth the lose of gallons in getting the saving of glass repair. Wanted to mention it so any HB owners know about the option and give those guys some credit.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Its funny I saw this post before I bought my 2002 17.8 Whipray and always had it in the back of my mind, the gas tank leaking. Well it came true this summer after 4 years of owning boat. I finally got it to HB and Paul over in service did a great job. They cut out old tank and installed a new smaller tank. It fit through the hatch without having to cut glass. Tank went from 21 to 18 gallons, worth the lose of gallons in getting the saving of glass repair. Wanted to mention it so any HB owners know about the option and give those guys some credit.
Rooster, I had the exact same thing done and agree that the HB service team did a great job. Brand new powder coated tank installed without cutting the deck.
CaptainRob is offline   Reply With Quote