TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, Prop/JackPlate Confusion in TribeNwater Boats; Hey guys, Great site! Gotta a question about a boat my dad's friend is thinking about selling and that I ...

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)

Prop/JackPlate Confusion

Hey guys, Great site! Gotta a question about a boat my dad's friend is thinking about selling and that I am hopefully purchasing.

The boat is a 2000 Whipray 17.8 with a tunnel. Beautiful machine. The only problem with the boat is that in order to run the boat to keep the prop from cavitating and skyrocketing the RPMs, the jackplate must be all the way down. I would think that this boat should be able to run with the jack plate up, maybe at the 4-5 range since it has the tunnel. Running around the flats here in South Texas, having the motor hanging down too low will really limit the fishing locations.

I think the problem lies with the prop. I do not know the exact specs of it but it appears to be very small in diameter, 4 blades, and very worn down at the tip of the blades. In my opinion, if i bought the boat and new prop it would solve this problem. I am thinking maybe a 3 blade, larger diam, and much more heavily cupped. We had this exact same problem on my dads banshee, and instantly we were able to run the motor much higher on the jack plate (5 inches higher) when we switched props. However, we did lose speed which did not bother us at all.

Which prop would you suggest would be the ideal for this boat? The motor is a 60hp Mercury 2 stroke with no cavitation plate.

Thank you very much for your help. I am just nervous about buying the boat before I know that I can definitely solve this problem with simply a new prop.
Lovemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Where'd the cavitation plate go? I think you'll likely find a 4 blade will hold the water better than a 3, slightly more loss in speed though. Personally not a fan of tunnels and plates, always seem to sacrifice more bow lift than I'm willing to give up, especially from a boat that doesn't get much lift anyway.

jb
jonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would probably stay with a 4 blade. Pretty sure you will not be able to use the jp up high with a 3blade unless you put a compression plate on.
I used to run 2 boats that were set up identical except for props. The 3 blade had better top end but cavitated horribly with any use of the jp. The 4 blade took off flatter and would allow me to come up really high on the jp and still bite even in turns.
That tunnel should be redirecting the water to allow the prop to bite well. Would be willing to bet you just need another prop.
Call Marcus at Power tech. I'm told he is pretty good at setting up the right well. Have also heard good stuff about that propbuilder alot of Texas guys use. Brauman or something like that.
hookemdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good info guys!

Dano, what year/model are you running?

Last edited by Lovemore; 10-12-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have an 08 waterman 18 nontunnel. Have a Powetech 13p 4bl (not sure of model #) but I am able to take off and run with the JP all the way up to 6. Yes it slips like hell when up high but will allow me to avoid alot of poling in many situations. and the boat gains about 3-4 mph when I come up to about 2.5 on the JP from 0. I can get the bow up if I need to and can take off flat when I need to. Has been a great hull for the LA marsh.

My previous post may have been misleading. The "identical boats" were the same as eachother but not a 17.8 tunnel. Was just providing my experience of differences in a 3bl and 4bl setup.

I really cant believe that there is something about the 17.8 tunnel hull that will not let it bite better. Tom G. was always very helpful and knowledgeable about the right setup for the various boats. Might call HB and ask him about it. He was always very honest w/ me about the pros and cons of the diff boats he has built both at his shop and HB.

Last edited by hookemdano; 10-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.
hookemdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

will do. thank you very much!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Before you go the PowerTech route, I highly recommend that you give Jack Foreman at Crossroads Prop in Port Lavaca a call at (361) 649-2789. Billy Trimble, who runs a Waterman 18 with a tunnel, referred him to me, and I am glad he did. The 3 blade PT prop I had wasn't cutting it for the hole shot. Jack's props are a little bit bigger, but still three blade. It has completely changed the performance of my Guide 18. This boat doesn't have a tunnel, and I was worried I was going to have to sell it for a tunnel boat because I couldn't get on plane in 8" of water, albeit soft bottom, in Nine Mile Hole and the other really shallow areas I fish. That's not a problem any more. I have a friend with a beavertail with a tunnel with this prop, and he loves it too. I have since turned it on to two of my friends with HPX-Ts, and they are very happy. You won't be sorry.
Forecaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Likewise for Louie Baumann Marine in Houston (713 926 6908). I run his three blade prop on my 18 Waterman tunnel. Louie will work with you to get the prop dailed in to your requirements like he did with me. Great hole shot and good top end at about 33mph on a 60hp Etec with Keven Shaw's anti cavitation wing. Finish and materials are extremely good.

A buddy of mine has the 17.8 Professional with a tunnel and he also runs the Buamann three blade prop on his 60 merc. He gets a great hole shot and more top end speed. Barry

Last edited by barryh; 10-13-2010 at 06:22 AM.
barryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryh View Post
Likewise for Louie Baumann Marine in Houston (713 926 6908). I run his three blade prop on my 18 Waterman tunnel. Louie will work with you to get the prop dailed in to your requirements like he did with me. Great hole shot and good top end at about 33mph on a 60hp Etec with Keven Shaw's anti cavitation wing. Finish and materials are extremely good.

A buddy of mine has the 17.8 Professional with a tunnel and he also runs the Buamann three blade prop on his 60 merc. He gets a great hole shot and more top end speed. Barry
I also am using Kevin Shaw's cav plate. It's called a ShawWing, and it is very well designed and made. No cutting or drilling of the lower unit. It's a little more expensive than some of the other ones out there, but it's nice!
Forecaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Tom G. recommended Crossroads also. and on my dads banshee, we put a Shaw-wing on it too. Now i know the parts i need, just need to find the boat!