TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, New HB Pro 17.8 in TribeNwater Boats; love the layout of this rig.....truly awesome got your PM hit me up....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

love the layout of this rig.....truly awesome

got your PM hit me up.
get 'er done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Got it Collin- no problem. Picking her up next week. Curtis at HB talked me in to the stringer/liner build instead of no-floor for a stiffer hull- that's the only choice I struggled with.
con mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by con mosca View Post
Got it Collin- no problem. Picking her up next week. Curtis at HB talked me in to the stringer/liner build instead of no-floor for a stiffer hull- that's the only choice I struggled with.
Looks like a great boat.

In regard to the no floor build I think the main reason they talk people out of this build is that it eats up alot of labor. I'm told that there was no money made on the original Waterman due to labor with the no floor build. I have put my boat in a lot of nasty water and have never seen it flex (no floor layup).

Congrats, looks like you are getting a bad a$$ boat.
hookemdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hook- You may be right about your boat not flexing underway. I wanted a coffin box in the floor and didn't want to have any movement or flex whatsoever- not to say that it would happen, just that it could happen. Also for me, it's not about flex on the water, it's about hull/floor flex on the trailer getting hauled long distances over bad roads. I just didn't want to see any possible separation between the box and floor EVER and went with the least problematic design for my purposes.

I don't believe if HB takes on a no-floor build it means that the company is losing money on the deal or that it's too labor-intensive to be worth the cost. Think about it this way: a no-floor build is hull layup + a couple of sheets of core in the floor while a stringer/liner system requires adding core to the hull layup + making a carbon stringer + making a liner then putting everything together properly. That's quite a bit of labor right there.

BTW- picked up the 17.8 today and did 600 miles already thanks to that beautiful Ram-Lin trailer. It's hard to tell I've got a rig back there behind me most of the time.

Finally a BIG THANKS goes to all the good folks at HB for making this happen! Should be some new pics on the HB facebook page coming soon.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by con mosca View Post
Hook- You may be right about your boat not flexing underway. I wanted a coffin box in the floor and didn't want to have any movement or flex whatsoever- not to say that it would happen, just that it could happen. Also for me, it's not about flex on the water, it's about hull/floor flex on the trailer getting hauled long distances over bad roads. I just didn't want to see any possible separation between the box and floor EVER and went with the least problematic design for my purposes.

I don't believe if HB takes on a no-floor build it means that the company is losing money on the deal or that it's too labor-intensive to be worth the cost. Think about it this way: a no-floor build is hull layup + a couple of sheets of core in the floor while a stringer/liner system requires adding core to the hull layup + making a carbon stringer + making a liner then putting everything together properly. That's quite a bit of labor right there.

BTW- picked up the 17.8 today and did 600 miles already thanks to that beautiful Ram-Lin trailer. It's hard to tell I've got a rig back there behind me most of the time.

I cannot dispute your reasoning but floor flex is the only argument that Tom G did not use when I told him I wanted the no floor layup. And I do see your point with the coffin box/guide box set up.

And I don't think that HB has lost any money on any option they have ever offered. Just been told that the no floor hull requires a ton of labor and it made the Waterman not as profitable a boat for the price point they were aiming at with it.

The first step off the front deck of my boat can be frightening at times especially with a wet cockpit or feet. I am planning for at least seadeck pads forward before somebody steps wrong and gets hurt.

Again, Congrats on a great boat and post up more pics and a report when you get a chance.

Hoping to get the first bit of tarpon slime on mine in the next couple weeks.
hookemdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

The no-floor question has lots of different answers. Tom G told me no strength was added with the floor but I don't get that. Too much engineering school. A friend has a no-floor 18 and they reportedly used thicker than normal foam to add strength. My Marquesa floor is molded so no finish work - the non-skid comes from the mold. The labor point seems valid to me. All said, I like the smaller boats in no-floor because it is so easy to maintain, no trapped moisture, etc.

I saw the new boat of this thread at the shop. Very nice looking skiff, but I do not look enough like Popeye to run a 70 2S tiller.
crlwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't have Popeye arms either!! Maybe I'll get them after running the boat for a while.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

A couple of new pics of the 17.8 prior to leaving the shop are up on HB's facebook wall.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Very nice, I see the trailer is raised, is that for the Punta Allen road, if so, its killed my back many many times !
thefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
Very nice, I see the trailer is raised, is that for the Punta Allen road, if so, its killed my back many many times !
Nope, it's for clearing the topes (speedbumps, sleeping policeman, whatever) that litter every little town I have to go through on MX 180. The last Ram-Lin I did it with drug the front crossbeam across most of the taller ones. Some even raised the trailer/boat a few inches until the wheels finally made contact. I tried raising the tongue on the hitch more but then I would get a bit too much sway. Lessons learned the hard way. BTW- That Ram-Lin held together like a champ as long as I replaced the bearings/seals & repacked every 8k miles.

fly- I've helped push out several vehicles that got stuck in sand through one bad spot south of the Boca Paila bridge years back but again nope, the Punta Allen road is too far north for me. Last time I drove that road I got pissed that the government would open up Sian Kaan to building SO many beach houses. Swore I'd not go back there, although Punta Allen itself is a funky little pueblo- just really too bad the fishing is a 45 minute minimum boat ride from there. I'm curious about the Vigio Chico road to Bahia Ascension from Felipe Carrillo Puerto- but then you have to take a boat across to Punta Allen.