TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, New HB Pro 17.8 in TribeNwater Boats; I love it down there, but the Co-op and rules only allow for a 16ft boat if your a non ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

I love it down there, but the Co-op and rules only allow for a 16ft boat if your a non local guide etc, the crossing from the lighthouse to Cayo Culebra is a ***** in a panga let alone a Whip, so it a 16SSP or Biscayne, the fishing is still great down there, I havn't been for a couple of years, but did go at least twice a year for a while.
Enjoy your new rig!
thefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Regulations in Sian Ka'an are locked down pretty tight and get more restrictive each year. It's not like that down south. Only things to worry about are getting there safely, having the required safety equip. on board, having the importation paperwork handy and getting a written permiso from the local port captain, which may require a small mordida- er, I mean 'donation'. You can use just about any size boat as long as you don't run it into the reef or a coral head. That would be a very serious offense.

Last time I fished out of Punta Allen we had an invest sitting just offshore. I was sure the panga was going to flip on those big rollers. I don't know how the Enduro guys run those boats standing through that stuff. A Biscayne with the improved hull design might make it very do-able.

I have only one area called "El toro" where I will have to run outside the reef for about 1km to access a specific inland lagoon. Very confused currents mixed with rollers at times there. Other than that, I stay inside the reef but there are a few 100m wide reef breaks with a tall chop to pass by. Since the wind is always blowing hard inshore it can be quite a wet ride without spray rails near those passes.
con mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

So your south of Espirito Sancto Bay, as far down as Xcalak ?
Not been that far south ( unless you count Turneffe ).
I have a Tx friend who runs a small operation down there in ESB, the fishing from what I have seen is off the scale, I was going to shoot a film down there in the Permit ponds, but my crew were on other assignments.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

That's correct. Are you talking about Eric E. @ Paradise?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by con mosca View Post
That's correct. Are you talking about Eric E. @ Paradise?
No Jeff Kean, Palm Valley Outfitters, Harlingen Tx.
He used to run Casa Blanca for Bobby Settles and Casa Redhonda in AB.

Last time I spoke to him, he had a guy down there with a couple of HB skiffs that were taking his clients that were staying in the local village.

I must get down there again.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #26 (permalink)

Heard of Jeff but have never run into him.

The only HB's I know of around there are a couple of yellow Watermans without platforms that Paradise has. Most days last summer and into fall I saw them trailering one all the way down to the bay. That really pissed off the local guides since it was a VERY SLOW summer for tourism in the marine park. Made me wonder why they would drag those boats 225km roundtrip and pay to launch at the ramp, not to mention the tow vehicle's compulsory gas fillup coming and going when Espiritu Santo has always been so good and it's right on their doorstep. Did something happen to the fishing there after Dean? I also wonder about that since 2 yrs. ago I fished NW Chet Bay at the Boca de Laguna Guerrero and saw practically nothing like I should have. The locals attributed the absence of fish there to the storm.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #27 (permalink)

I don't think the storm has had any effect, Jeff sent me some video only last year, the snook were near 30lb I saw on film, and schools of permit too.
Those HB Watermans must be the same s guys as Jeff was using on and off, ain't many proper skiffs down there.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

Would that have been another Trapper Rudd video?

You gotta get down to X. Summer is a good time to be there. PM me for details.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by con mosca View Post
Would that have been another Trapper Rudd video?

You gotta get down to X. Summer is a good time to be there. PM me for details.
Yes it would be.

Always wanted to fish X, I have done Hollbox also.
Will fire you a pm.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

I wade fished down there in several places. Down in the reserve, I fished near the bridge with good success with bonefish and one shot at a large permit.
Back up around Puerto Adventuras, I had luck fishing some small flats in beach like areas. Each morning I would have a chance and often caught one small bonefish prior to heading offshore.
I caught a permit OTF right there in the cove at PA. I lost another OTF just north at a large cove that was great fishing. Always caught bonefish and had shots at permit nearly every time that I had a chance to visit that spot.
This was several years ago, so it may be built up in this area now.
Monzi is offline   Reply With Quote