TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, Oh where to start??? in TribeNwater Boats; Well I bought an 06 Gordon waterman 16 with a 40 tohatsu on it. I have a few questions... It ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Redfish Oh where to start???

Well I bought an 06 Gordon waterman 16 with a 40 tohatsu on it. I have a few questions...

It has a tunnel, flats jack plate, power pole, garmin 541s,

I am experiencing some overheating when I run the jack plate above 2. I am getting 5200-5500rpm on a 2-2.5 on the jack plate with a full tank of fuel (20) gal i am getting about 23 mph I am a big guy at 290 (cutting down and trying to shead some weight) and I am wondering about low water pickups? Prop suggestions? And I am also getting some water in the stbd rear battery compartment. Also going to look into a stiffy cav. Plate...Has anyone experienced any of these symptoms? I can be reached at 361-726-5255 or [email protected] thank you in advance....james
Redfish4302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 2006 Waterman 16 with a 40 TLDI Tiller. My boat has the flat bottom and I have a max speed on the GPS of 34mph with a Power Tech 11 pitch prop. I cruise at about 25 to 27mph regularly with two people very easily. I do not have a tach and I wish I did. I had to make a cover for that hole where you battery compartment is that was about 2 inches high and silicone it to the floor to keep the water form coming in and it has worked great (basically it acts as a damn). Hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited by kirk; 06-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Redfish

Kirk, can you please send me some pics of the inside of the battery box and what you are talking about I have had as much at 1" of water in the bottom of that box... I can't seem to get the problem nailed down... Or you can email them to me [email protected] thanks in advance.... James

I have to get this problem solved... Saltwater and pumps motors and wires don't mix well...

Any probe high temp alarms? I think I was just running the JP to high!!!
That is a slick looking ride!!!

Last edited by Redfish4302; 06-06-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Redfish4302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

I believe another forum member, PhlatsPhil, had a similar problem with his Tohatsu overheating. He didn't have a jack plate, but had trouble with water pressure if I am not mistaken. He is running a 16' Gordon. Hopefully he will chime in.
TroutTouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I made this out of a piece of plastic and siliconed it to the boat. It works and has been in use for about a year now. I also painted over it with gelcoat and it surprisingly stuck to it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish4302 View Post
I am also getting some water in the stbd rear battery compartment.
Water is getting in around the wiring harness thru the hole in rear inner corner where the wiring leaves the box. Mine gets water in it too if too much water gets in the bilge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutTouter View Post
I believe another forum member, PhlatsPhil, had a similar problem with his Tohatsu overheating. He didn't have a jack plate, but had trouble with water pressure if I am not mistaken. He is running a 16' Gordon. Hopefully he will chime in.
The problem I had was engine would start cold great, and occassionally after running to a flat, wouldn't restart easily. It acted as though there was no fuel in the "reservoir", and the primer ball always felt like it wasn't holding pressure. After months of troubleshooting, Hailey's Marine installed an ancillary fuel pump over the fuel tank to keep fuel pressure in the line. That worked for a few weeks, then it happened again. It continued to have a problem until they replaced the water pump... voila', problem fixed. Apparently, the engine was getting hot (not over heating), just hot enough to cause the fuel in the "reservoir" to boil away (??).... anyway, that's the theory. Haven't had a problem in a year since they replaced the water pump.

Get a new water pump first!! Good luck, let us know how it's going.

p.s. I love my Gordon 16!!