TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, '01 Whipray Rear hatch taking water? in TribeNwater Boats; Hello all, I am bumfuzzled. I have an '01 whipray with a back large dry storage. It began getting water ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

'01 Whipray Rear hatch taking water?

Hello all,

I am bumfuzzled. I have an '01 whipray with a back large dry storage. It began getting water in it from somewhere, and I can't figure out where it is coming from. Bilge area is dry is what I can't figure, and all drainage hoses from hatches look good. I did have three people fishing, but have done that a few times before, with no problems. It appears to be taking it from somewhere, but I am at a loose. I know a lot around here have experience with these boats.

Thanks,

Jack
jacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Had this problem years ago in my 2002 17.8. It took three visits to see Tom Gordon to figure it out. My problem was the water pressure gauge fitting in the console. It had come loose and was pumping the gauge water into the console and into the center compartment through the drain hole at the forward bulkhead. Is the water warm? this might be it. Good luck.

Jamie Havard
Capthav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have found leaks in through hull fittings by flooding water into the boat and see where it leaked out of. Having the boat hull dry in a garage with a dry floor helps. The other suggestion on the water pressure gauge would not be found this way of course. If you try flooding, be careful with battery, fuel filter, etc and block up trailer to avoid overweight. Good luck.
crlwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Jack

I have a 16 Whipray also and have had the same issue. Here's what it was for me. The rigging comes into the back hatch through a hole in the sump. It has a shroud over it, but if you notice, when the water gets to a certain level in the rear sump, it overflows into the that hole. So, if you take a big wake over the transom (or launch on a really steep ramp) and the rear sump fills up with water, it rushes into the back hatch. I remedied this by placing a small bilge down in my sump to evacuate the water (you can also run it out by pulling a plug, but that doesent work when you're sitting still!)
dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 17.8 and had the same problem. I tried to fill the boat with water, which is a good idea, but found nothing. After searching while running it found that it was the water pressure gauge also. The hose had cracked and when the motor was running it would just fill up. If your water pressure gauge doesn't work you may want to check that. Good luck.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the 3rd Whipray hull and had the same problem. The thru hull for the bilge pump was put right on a slight curve of the hull on the right rear side by the decal. I pulled it and resealed it with some 4200. This had baffled the original owner for 11 years. I believe they moved it to the rear and higher on the transom.

Bob
robwill54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 2005 Gordon Waterman 16' and I installed my "thru-hull" on the transom. No issues with water in any hatch, ever...
Snookdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote