TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, Fuel Tank Replacement on Whipray in TribeNwater Boats; I had the pleasure of opening my front hatch this afternoon on my 16' 2000 Whipray to see a puddle ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Tank Replacement on Whipray

I had the pleasure of opening my front hatch this afternoon on my 16' 2000 Whipray to see a puddle of gas in the front compartment. I have been smelling odor for a while, but I guess it has finally worked through the tank. It is a 12 gallon tank, I believe, and it looks like I won't have all the hassle that others have had removing the tank (I read the older threads on this) because it is too big to fit through the hatch. That said, I have never done this and would welcome any advice on removing the tank and also on a replacement tank. Thanks in advance!
bonefishorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Info and thanks

Hey
Thanks for the trailer it made it home. You should call Glasser boat works, and talk to Jonathan he should be able to give you some info or replace your tank. 321-626-0061
GROVESNATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Shopped around and ended up taking the boat to Hell's Bay. They were actually the quickest time frame, price was in the ballpark, and they did something similar replacing a 15 gallon with an 18 gallon on a whipray recently. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go and look at all the boats...
Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good choice.
Wando Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice

Cool glad to hear your getting it done. Both are great places to restore or repair your whip. Let me know about fishing sometime
GROVESNATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Having had this work done before on the 17.8. I just reiterate having the HB guys replace your fuel lines. I'm sure they include this with the service but it's always good to be sure. They do spectacular work.

Jamie
Capthav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks and great advice. I actually had replaced the fuel lines a few months ago as I was starting to smell gas and that was the easy fix. HB did great work and they were able to model a larger tank that Blue Point fabricated and powder coated. We were able to go from what I estimate to be 14.1 gallons to about 16.6 gallons, which will be a nice range increase for my Whipray with 40 2 stroke Merc. One of the non-HB boat repair places I talked to in Stuart was going to try and chisel the tank out of the hull (obvious red flag that helped me make up my mind to go to HB). The old tank had angle brackets welded to the sides that were then glassed into the hull. Without discussing the other boat place, HB described their process which involved cutting the glassed in brackets out. They mounted the new tank the same way they do on the new boats, glassing in receivers on the front and back that line up with the holes on the welded on angle brackets so that the tank is now bolted in. IF I can figure out how to insert a picture, I will add it to this thread.