TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, 17.8 Livewell thoughts in TribeNwater Boats; I have a 2004 (half chine) 17.8 Professional with the large rear center livewell/baitwell. After digging out a half melted ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

17.8 Livewell thoughts

I have a 2004 (half chine) 17.8 Professional with the large rear center livewell/baitwell.

After digging out a half melted dead menhaden out of my bilge for the hundredth time today, I am really disappointed with the livewell design on my boat. Baitfish are constantly getting back into my bilge under the open baitwell hatch. Most of the time I can dig them out, though with all the plumbing and wiring it is pretty difficult. However sometimes I dont see that finger mullet that jumped back there, or even better, one swims up under the cockpit floor and dies, which produces a nice aura in my garage.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

how many of you have the center console cooler rigged as a baitwell either with an airstone or a bait pump?

It seems to me the rear baitwell works better as a livewell/release well for caught fish.
timeoff2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Keep your bait in a airaided box (like Engles bait cooler) or bucket inside the livewell. If you do this you have to go through two hatches/tops to get to the bait but they are contained now. If you modified you center cooler, would it make bait easier to get too and solve your problem?

Last edited by Flats50; 06-21-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Flats50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Exact same boat here, and had the exact same problem.

I did make some modifications to the baitwell to keep it from overflowing, which is the problem. Jumping mullet are another issue.

I modified the glass pop-out panel where the drain is by adding a lot of 1/2 holes only on the top few inches. works great to prevent overflow and I can keep the valve at wide open. I also have a piece of nylon window screen scrunched up like a big meatball and stuffed in the bilge rigging tube to keep them from swimming under the floor.

For bait sliding under the hatch( not a problem if water level is correct) I have a towel I soak, rollup and place there when dumping the net.

Last edited by captpn; 06-22-2015 at 01:35 PM.
captpn is offline   Reply With Quote