TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Hell's Bay Darkside Association

Hell's Bay Darkside Association Thread, 17.8 Pro trolling motor and battery advice in TribeNwater Boats; I am thinking of going with the 24v Minn Kota IPliot. Overkill for a 17.8? Can I get away with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

17.8 Pro trolling motor and battery advice

I am thinking of going with the 24v Minn Kota IPliot.

Overkill for a 17.8? Can I get away with a 12v? Seems like most HB owners are using the 24v system. I am not a guide and probably only fish 4-5 hours at a time at most.

What about battery selection? The hull is a 2004; I dont know if HB changed the battery shelf dimensions over time. What group size?

I have been running an Odyssey cranking battery for so long I cant remember how old it is and have been very happy with it but I am open to suggestions.
timeoff2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 2000 whipray and I have a 24 volt system Ipilot. It is a lot of power, but I am happy with it and would not go to a 12 volt. I am using an Odyssey pc 1200 in combination with a group 24 agm west marine battery (possibly not the best idea to pair two different batteries). I have been able to use it a full day in Flamingo and then recharge at night with a long extension chord from the Flamingo campsite bathroom to my campsite. I am now looking to go to two new trolling motor batteries and while I like the west marine battery, I really like the smaller size and weight with the Odyssey. But I don't like the price of the odyssey, so I am going to look for a new way to go.

Last edited by bonefishorbust; 02-01-2018 at 10:08 AM.
bonefishorbust is offline   Reply With Quote