TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing Stories > Inshore Fishing Stories

Inshore Fishing Stories Thread, Banana River 9-20 in TribeNwater Fishing Stories; I fished the banana river Sunday afternoon from 1 to 3. I found some reds by brady island. I got ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Banana River 9-20

I fished the banana river Sunday afternoon from 1 to 3. I found some reds by brady island. I got them to chase a Yozuri crystal minnow, but couldn’t get them to eat. I fished the flat along the west shoreline, lots of bait but no predators. Then, I drifted the south side of the Pineda causeway between the two bridges, pitching a brown bucktail jig into the mangroves. I caught a nice snook.

Here’s the revival and release.

On the way back to the dock I came across some bait getting hammered from below. Turned out to be a school of jacks. I had fun with them til my arms got tired.

Last edited by jaysea63; 09-21-2009 at 06:05 PM.
jaysea63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
L I V I N - Livin

nice job on the snook john.
BoldWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

jaysea 63, great report, and nice job on the fish...I would like to let you know that handling a large snook like that is almost a death sentence for them...
They swim away alright, and it appears that you've not harmed them....Don't take this wrong, I've done the same thing, long ago...Until I learned better from someone else...Here is an article to read....Similar fish to the snook, in Australia if I remember correctly.... Sport Fishing - On the Level: Thoughts on Lifting Large Fish
7M11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure if everyone could get to that site...Here it is again maybe...
Sport Fishing - On the Level: Thoughts on Lifting Large Fish
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7M11 View Post
handling a large snook like that is almost a death sentence for them.

7M11, Thanks for the heads up. What do you consider a "large snook"? I don't think he was even slot.
jaysea63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

For me personally, I quit with most all snook...Even the smaller ones....I have a boga grip and never use it...My youngest son caught his first 45 in. snook and held it that way for a picture, a friend viewed that picture later; and gave me the information of why they don't hold them that way anymore...
That was about 8 yrs ago, since then I have found some articles about that; and kept them around...The small snook can be held in your hand on their back, its like putting an alligator on his back,they kinda go to sleep or something...I use a net to bring a fish into the boat, some just leave the fish in the water....
I have one word for that, SHARKS...Leaving them in the water, is probably the recommended way however....
If you fish the flats a lot, I'm sure you've seen them, sharks....I don't want to be holding a fish while a shark comes out from nowhere and is trying to eat it....The release is along side the boat also, I think about the sharks while doing that...If I'm having trouble reviving a larger snook, I use the trolling motor to run around slowly while holding the fish close to the boat....I think just bringing them into the boat also puts them into shock....
I would imagine if you have a large live well with an aerator, after a long fight in hot weather, you could put the fish in there to revive...Till the warden shows up....I do not keep fish out of season, or whats not legal .... I did not mean to de-rail your story, I am sure you are as concerned about mother natures fisheries as I am...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

By the way that was a nice fish, nice color and size...Wild guess 22" to 24"
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is another good article....Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Snook

Why do you fish 7M11? sounds to me like you should be huggin trees!
BigPickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

BigPickle, I pretty much fish for snook, tarpon, trout...If I can post some information for someone that is informative, and it helps keep the snook populous to stay strong, that would be a good thing...Don't you think....I'm not a tree hugger....Blast away if it makes you feel good... The article is there for you to read, if you want to hold a snook anyway you want, go ahead...Just tried to inform...Not criticize...I don't think jaysea63 had a problem reading the article...