TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Inshore/Flats

Inshore/Flats Thread, New 17ft Skiff in TribeNwater Boats; Maybe I am wrong, but this looks just like an old 1970's hull I saw on craigslist in the Tampa ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Maybe I am wrong, but this looks just like an old 1970's hull I saw on craigslist in the Tampa area at the beginning of this project. I would venture to say it was splashed and the aft steps/ spray rails modded or added. Not knocking it, just speculating on the origin of the hull.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Not a copy of anything.

After the hull was laid up a plywood deck was dropped in. The hull pulled clean from the mold with no issues.

skinnywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

It was off to the ramp to do the first float. 500lbs of sandbags were added to simulate the motor, liner/CC, gas tank and gear. 250lbs at stern, 150lbs on the bow, and 100lbs in the cockpit.

Water lines marked

Dave and Myself both 200+ hopped on the deck and Rob marked the water line again. When the boat was pulled from the water we got our draft number by using a level off the lowest part of the hull to the water line. 7 1/8" with people, and 6 5/8" w/o

In this pic you can see on the bow below the eye and above the water line is another mark. This is the "Two man" line measured with 2 people on the bow and one on the stern.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Next on the list was the wet test. Rob was able to scrounge around and borrow a 1988 Mariner 60 with the original 3 blade aluminum prop with the stock white paint chipped pretty bad. Admittedly not the best motor to test with because we don't know what condition the motor is really in. Motor fires right up every time, but stalls out when you put it in gear. So you put it in gear and point it in the direction that you want to go and fire it up.

The end result was wicked! The boat preformed great! No trim tabs were installed for the testing either. The boat rides flat, has a great holeshot, and a wicked top speed. Not bad for an old salty motor.

I ran the boat and was able to squeeze out a speed number. You set the trim angle at about 20mph and drop the throttle. The boat doesn't need any corrections in trim tabs or motor angle from mid range to top end.

Top speed 42.6mph!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Second wet test was with Capt. Colby Hane
Running with 2 people in the slick

And in the chop

Polling

Hitting a wave on top of the bar you can see that the water is all knocked down by the hull design.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Deck mold is complete!

Check out the clean nonskid lines. Fit and Finish is top tier!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

The boat that is going to be at Miami Boat Show has been started!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Couple updates, the first deck has been pulled. It is super stiff and weighs in at around 105lbs. The hull is going quick. One layer of Kevlar, Carbon on all edges, Corecell, and a second layer of kevlar to lock it all down.

Corecell Stringers being fitted.

Clean lines on the hatch plug. All the parts molds will be completed this week.

The cockpit has a couple cool features. It has a very small tapered gutter at the back of the cockpit. It is about the size of my pinky finger and gets deeper towards the center well area. The center well will have a piece of laser cut stainless over the top of it. Any water that gets into the cockpit immediatly goes below deck, and drains overboard via pump. No standing water on the deck!

In the front of the cockpit is good sized hatch. It is for a storage compartment large enough for a couple pairs of wading booties or castnets. That way you don't have to toss your wet castnet or booties into dry storage!

-Richard
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hull was pulled today! Pretty exciting.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

I don't believe it is a copy. I said it was hull that was splashed and later sold on craigslist, and the part from the splash modified. Looks like the spray rail and stepped aft were added. The rest looks the same. If this is not true, maybe some pics of building the hull plug should be posted - since you seem to have so many of every other step in this process. I have only seen an almost complete hull pattern emerge from nowhere. No 5 axis pattern, no forms or stations being planked, only an almost complete hull. I am not by any means bashing the work that has been done. I am sure countless hours have been spent building this project.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote