TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Inshore/Flats

Inshore/Flats Thread, New 17ft Skiff in TribeNwater Boats; Originally Posted by Tommy I don't believe it is a copy. I said it was hull that was splashed and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I don't believe it is a copy. I said it was hull that was splashed and later sold on craigslist, and the part from the splash modified. Looks like the spray rail and stepped aft were added. The rest looks the same. If this is not true, maybe some pics of building the hull plug should be posted - since you seem to have so many of every other step in this process. I have only seen an almost complete hull pattern emerge from nowhere. No 5 axis pattern, no forms or stations being planked, only an almost complete hull. I am not by any means bashing the work that has been done. I am sure countless hours have been spent building this project.
I don't have any pictures in the the planking stage. The builder did not want any of his concepts being taken before an actuall hull was built. It is a completly new hull design design based on 30 years of boat building experience.
skinnywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

I am not doubting his ability to build boats or molds. It looks like he does nice work. To say he did not want designs taken before a boat was produced does not make sense. Pics were posted of the hull plug being worked on 8 months ago at the start of this project. Very detailed pics that could have been used by a larger shop with more resources to build a similar product faster than this. To that point, I don't know why anyone would copy a hull that had never been tested - which this one clearly wasn't. The only company I see doing legitimate R&D work is Chittum. Everyone else builds a mold and attempts to make it work based on "concepts" and screwing on spray rails and trim tabs etc. There are no planking pics because it never happened. Maybe with the exception of the stepped aft being added to an existing boat. Obviously this can be called a new design because about 50% of it is different from the splash, but it's origins are a splash.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not doubting his ability to build boats or molds. It looks like he does nice work. To say he did not want designs taken before a boat was produced does not make sense. Pics were posted of the hull plug being worked on 8 months ago at the start of this project. Very detailed pics that could have been used by a larger shop with more resources to build a similar product faster than this. To that point, I don't know why anyone would copy a hull that had never been tested - which this one clearly wasn't. The only company I see doing legitimate R&D work is Chittum. Everyone else builds a mold and attempts to make it work based on "concepts" and screwing on spray rails and trim tabs etc. There are no planking pics because it never happened. Maybe with the exception of the stepped aft being added to an existing boat. Obviously this can be called a new design because about 50% of it is different from the splash, but it's origins are a splash.
If I said that I wanted to design a boat that had x,y, and z features someone could build that boat and say it is there design first. Once the x, y, and z features are MADE is different. The designer waited till the plug was made before releasing pictures. Not a spashed hull, and no "fixes" have to be made to the design for it to be a great boat. It actually doesn't need trim tabs at all, and we did all of our testing without one and was able to hit the same speed numbers with less hp than other skiff companies.

I really do like the way the Chittum is built, and I am sure it is an amazing fishing machine. I hope you enjoy owning one.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

One quick picture from tonight. We set the cockpit in, and dropped the deck on and everything went together great.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Looking good. Good luck with her.
keeganite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #26 (permalink)

No pics = no proof
I will stand by the splashed comment. I saw the hull on craigslist and the last venture by this builder was a splashed glades skiff.
I don't own a chittum. Yes, the build is impressive, but I am referencing the R&D work of building and running a test boat and making mods to ensure it will perform before starting a mold.
Most builders don't because they want your money and it takes too long to do.
They would rather learn mistakes and improve on the next model they build - without a test boat again - and use customer complaints as R&D work.
Say what you want about great customer service - if I sell you a turd, but kiss your *** about your concerns to keep you happy, then I have a good company who stands behind the product?
R&D and testing is not bolting on motors and accessories to see if you can make it work.
Also, the merc/mariner 60 2 stroke is the fastest 60 you could get. I have seen 41+ with one on a loaded 18 waterman.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I will stand by the splashed comment. I saw the hull on craigslist and the last venture by this builder was a splashed glades skiff..
Wrong person. Here are some recent boats that Robert has done.

Tides 23

Venture bought the molds
23 Bay

The Tortuga Panga

Andros bought the molds
Permit 22
Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Boat left for the Miami Boat Show at 4am!

Offset CC w/ toe kick.* The edges get finished off with a trim piece.

SS Rub Rail, f70, and polling platform

TRUE mil-spec switch panel

Favorite picture of the boat so far!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Hey Richie, what numbers with the 70LA ?
thefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

I will have numbers by next weekend. They didn't have all the parts in stock before the boat had to leave for the show.