TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Maintence / Questions / Tutorials

Maintence / Questions / Tutorials Thread, E-tec maintenance question in TribeNwater Boats; So I have a 90hp E-tec that is up for it's 3 year service, from what I've gathered they look ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

E-tec maintenance question

So I have a 90hp E-tec that is up for it's 3 year service, from what I've gathered they look at the lower unit, replace the water pump, change the oil, spark plugs, filters, check the compression before and after and run any computer updates... all that for about 450 bucks...

has anyway one had any experience in this? I figure I could change the oil (I assume in the lower unit?), filters and plugs myself.

Not sure why both places I called wanted to replace the water pump?

But obviously there is no getting around the computer updates. That just leaves compression...

The only thing I can tell that's wrong with it so far is it's been idling a little rough recently.

Any suggestions on how much I should do myself vs taking it in? and Anyone got a trust worthy e-tec mechanic to take it to?

Thanks!
Mark
Cfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also will it affect my warranty if I do some of it myself? I see Mercury is now requiring you to have it serviced by an approved tech and logged on their website...
Cfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd bring it in for sure just to be sure your warranty stays in order, for $450 you're doing ok for a full service like that. Also I do waterpumps on nearly every boat I service or touch. There's no reason not to if you have a reasonable mechanic. Do they do thermostats at 300? If not have that done too...
Captain Carl is offline   Reply With Quote