TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Maintence / Questions / Tutorials

Maintence / Questions / Tutorials Thread, Whipray Prop selection in TribeNwater Boats; I was wondering if anyone had any experience with prop selection pertaining to H/B Whiprays. I have a 16', 2002 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Whipray Prop selection

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with prop selection pertaining to H/B Whiprays. I have a 16', 2002 Whipray. I recently purchased a 50hp Merc 2 stroke (non-bigfoot). My current motor is a 40hp Merc and I've only run ss three blades on it. I would like to upgrade to a ss 4-blade with the added horse power from the 50. Power tech props have been recommended and I will probably go with them. But I have no idea on diameter and pitch. This is my first post to the forum, or any forum for that matter, and I am hoping someone has some input for me.

Thanks
minnow
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Can't comment as to what prop for your boat. But powertech does have an online section of their website for the different motors. That way you can see what they have and ask about a specific prop.
beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I guess I haven't looked at that site as much as I should have. I'll see if I can find that area.

minnow
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

You might try calling HB. They had a Whipray with a Merc 50hp at the Fly Fisherman this weekend. See what prop they put on it or if they have any reccomendations.

If not try calling admiral propeller in Tampa: Boat propellers, propeller repair, prop, props, propellers, prop shop, discount props, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, Orlando, Gainesville, Ocala, shafts, underwater gear

They sell powertech. I called them when I needed a prop for my old gheenoe and they knew what I needed. Haven't needed a new prop for the Waterman, and I have a 25hp so I have no actual suggestions.

Post pics of the Whip. And I want a ride on that thing when you get it propped.

Last edited by brew1891; 07-27-2009 at 07:10 AM.
brew1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestion. I spoke with Jeff from Power Tech today. He was extremely helpfull and suggested, based on the information I could supply, that I go with a SS 4 blade SWC-4, 11 pitch. They also offer an exchange program so that you can retrun the prop for a different one if it doesn't add up to what you wanted. I ordered the prop and picked up the new motor today. Now if I could just get the current motor sold I'd be set. If anyone is interested it is for sale on ebay 2003 40hp merc 20" no controls. I'll keep everyone posted on the prop.

minnow
Old 07-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1891 View Post
You might try calling HB. They had a Whipray with a Merc 50hp at the Fly Fisherman this weekend. See what prop they put on it or if they have any reccomendations.

If not try calling admiral propeller in Tampa: Boat propellers, propeller repair, prop, props, propellers, prop shop, discount props, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, Orlando, Gainesville, Ocala, shafts, underwater gear

They sell powertech. I called them when I needed a prop for my old gheenoe and they knew what I needed. Haven't needed a new prop for the Waterman, and I have a 25hp so I have no actual suggestions.

Post pics of the Whip. And I want a ride on that thing when you get it propped.
I'll let you know when I get it dialed for the ride.

minnow
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

10.5X12 mfg is your choice, I would be more concerned with the intake holes on the foot than the prop. These boats will only do 33 mph no matter how you power them and a 40 is all that is needed so you will be loosing the draft because of the added weight of the motor 321 278 9852 if you have any questions.
Redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfly View Post
10.5X12 mfg is your choice, I would be more concerned with the intake holes on the foot than the prop. These boats will only do 33 mph no matter how you power them and a 40 is all that is needed so you will be loosing the draft because of the added weight of the motor 321 278 9852 if you have any questions.
Thanks for the input. I really don't know what to expect just yet. I do know the added weight will affect the draft of the boat. But my plan is to replace the current poling platform, and front casting platform, with carbon marine platforms. I hope to slightly offset the weight of the motor with those changes. I know there will be a remaining balance in favor of the motor. I'll give you call sometime to see what you think.

"It's not the number of years in your life that matters. It's the amount of life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Okay so after a few tedious hours, and a few snags, I got the 50 hp mounted on the boat. The new prop from power tech showed up (swc-4 10 3/4x11) on time and I was on the water on Saturday. As expected I lost about 2" of draft with the boat at rest. With the boat carrying two people and being loaded with 24v trolling motor and 15 gallons of gas I dropped the throttle and almost instantly was up on plane. I had it topped out at 31 mph (gps). I was able to jack it up all the way and trim it perpendicular to the hull without ventilation/cavitations. When trimmed up I would get ventilation in hard right turns but not left. I'm assuming this is due to the right hand rotation of the prop...but my inexperience could be wrong. All in all I was very happy. I will try and post some pics of the boat later this week. Thanks for all the input.

"It's not the number of years in your life that matters. It's the amount of life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln