TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Boats > Maintence / Questions / Tutorials

Maintence / Questions / Tutorials Thread, Trolling motors for Glades Skiff in TribeNwater Boats; New to this forum and would appreciate any opinions on the best trolling motor and mount for the bow of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Trolling motors for Glades Skiff

New to this forum and would appreciate any opinions on the best trolling motor and mount for the bow of a Glades Skiff. Thought a removable Birdsall bracket with a transom mount Riptide 45/55 thrust would be best, but some buddies have told me that reversing the head for bow use is difficult. They have also advised against a 36 inch shaft. For flyfishing only trips, I want to have a clean bow. Any input would be appreciated.
catfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think your buddies are correct. The other issue with the removable mount using a backward transom mount is the breakaway feature. The mount is made to give way from behind the transom, not in front. I have used them and gotten into a mess hitting logs in creeks with current flow. Several times. And oyster bars in the tide. And everything else in the gulf.
I suggest you consider the removable mount with pins to take off. Leaves the base about the foot print of a loaf of bread so not too tough to manage fly line with TM off ( I think Motor Guide's version is most popular). 36" is short... very short. Bending way over the steer is rough, and the long extension handles can be a PITA.
For my money I would get conventional hand steer bow mount. There is my 2 cents anyway.
crlwms is offline   Reply With Quote