TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing > Offshore Academy-Capt. Scott Goodwin

Offshore Academy-Capt. Scott Goodwin Thread, Making Mullet Strips in TribeNwater Fishing; Mullet Strips Strip baits are one of the most versatile baits around, and yet not used that often because the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Making Mullet Strips

Mullet Strips
Strip baits are one of the most versatile baits around, and yet not used that often because the strips are not readily available for sale and making them takes time. Well the time or money spent is well worth it! Not just any fish makes a great strip. Bonito or Little Tunny are my favorite strip because of their shiny, white color and maximum toughness. The mullet is not as tough, but it works great and is easier to get in quantity when the silver mullet are running. The Silver mullet is superior to striped or black mullet in their shine and firmness of meat. Ocean run mullet are better than river mullet. Something about the "mud" in the river mullet's gut makes them softer. So in the fall when the mullet flow down the coast, take a morning to throw the net and strip out the seasons strips. Keep in mind there is a bag limit for mullet. Check the current regulations. Strips are used for various trolling rigs and tipping jigs. Here's How:

The Silver mullet has the black edge on the tail and bright silver scales. We catch them in a cast net and drop them straight into a brine of saltwater, ice and salt/baking soda mix. Try not to beat them up in the net, deck or ground. Careful not to get too much salt in the brine as you can freeze the mullet if it gets too cold. Never let fresh water touch your baits at any stage of the game.

Now take a sharp, thin bladed knife and start to fillet the mullet. Don't cut all the way down so as to leave some of the fillet's thickness on the fish.

Next, slice downward toward the tail

If there is a tricky part, this is it. A little practice and the Sharp knife is the key. Slice the tail fin into two separate identical parts. If you get it started in the middle, it will slice out just right.

When you succeed you have a mullet fillet with an intact half of tail

Now flip the mullet and fillet the other side down to the tail

Turn your knife blade downward when you hit the tail and cut the fin from the spine

Now we start to trim the streamline shape of the strip by removing the rib cage section and making nice clean cuts

Shave down any extra thickness above the rib area so that the surface is flat

Now you have your matching strips ready to salt and freeze or go fishing

Lightly, but completly cover the flesh side of the strip with salt

If you have a vacuum sealer, now is the time. If not, a good freezer ziplock will work. Lay the strips out flat, a dozen or so per bag. Try to keep salt out of the track of the ziplock or it won't seal. Dip the bag into a bucket of water to squeeze out the air. Do not dip the bag under or get any water in the bag. These will keep for months in the freezer.

Now you have a great bait for trolling or tipping jigs that is well worth the time!

Check out more on OffshoreAcademy.com, It is all FREE!

Last edited by Capt. Scott Goodwin; 09-04-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Capt. Scott Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
L I V I N - Livin

mullet strips

perfect man. let's go use them.
BoldWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Capt, ever use flounder belly strips when targeting flatties? I know this is the offshore section but that last tipped jig reminded me of that. Always had my most success using the belly meat tapered to a point on various size jig heads
Jhmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
L I V I N - Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhmorgan View Post
Capt, ever use flounder belly strips when targeting flatties? I know this is the offshore section but that last tipped jig reminded me of that. Always had my most success using the belly meat tapered to a point on various size jig heads
hunter, scott is from Jacksonville i was thinking the other day he might be able to hook you up with some spots.
BoldWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Good stuff!
TroutTouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhmorgan View Post
I have not used flounder, but we used to strip out finger mullet and do the same thing. I bet the flounder belly is tougher.