TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing > Offshore Academy-Capt. Scott Goodwin

Offshore Academy-Capt. Scott Goodwin Thread, Easy Flat Line Clips in TribeNwater Fishing; Most people are familiar with outriggers and the dropback they give to a fish. This moment of slack line enables ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Easy Flat Line Clips

Most people are familiar with outriggers and the dropback they give to a fish. This moment of slack line enables the fish to get the bait further in his mouth and turn away before the line comes tight. However, flat-line clips are not as common, though just as important. The benefit is twofold, first it gives the fish a short dropback. Second, the clip holds the angle of the line down which keeps the bait in the water.
Sometimes you will see other versions of a flatline clip screwed into the transom, suctioned cupped or attatched to the rod. These work, but I always hate to screw anything into the boat, and the others are awkward.
You can make a simple, removable clip that you attach when you are trolling. I prefer a Blacks clip as they are sturdy, adjustable, and reasonably priced. You can buy a downrigger version or cut the wire and beads off of the outrigger version.
I rig them on 200 to 400lb mono with the clip on one end and a loop on the other.

Attach the clip to a clete or towing eye on the back of the transom.

Make it just long enough to be easy to reach. About level with the gunnel is just right.

Try this and you will see your bait presentation and hook-up ratios improve.

Last edited by Capt. Scott Goodwin; 02-24-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Capt. Scott Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Release Clips

Scott - Great tip.

Are there any other release clips you would recomend?
Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Clips

I have used other clips on various boats, but I believe these to be the best. They are simple, few moving parts, and hold up very well. I use the same one on my outriggers. They have a wide range of adjustment. We use them live bait fishing with a very light setting or cranked down pulling lures for tuna and marlin. I'm sure there are other good ones out there, but these are my preferred until I find a better one.
Capt. Scott Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep, Flatlines are great and also add to the cool factor of the Chinese Fire Drill when 6 lines go off when two people are on board. Something about hearing them snap just adds to the action. I like to use the Aftco roller flatlines for Rapala's and other rigs that kick. Another line friendly way to go is to use a rubberband.
Double Z is offline   Reply With Quote