TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing Stories > Skinny Water Stories

Skinny Water Stories Thread, Redfish in December, or "Laissez les bons temps rouler!" in TribeNwater Fishing Stories; "10 o'clock, 45 feet out, moving left to right. See him? Lead him 3 feet." "No!! you're behind him. 10 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Redfish in December, or "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

"10 o'clock, 45 feet out, moving left to right. See him? Lead him 3 feet."

"No!! you're behind him. 10 feet right."

"Now he's at 12, coming toward the boat. Straight on shot, don't overshoot him."

A single false cast, and I drop the fly 3 feet in front of the fish (much to my amazement, and the amusement of the Captain).

"Let it sit! Don't even move it."

"Strip, strip! Twitch, twitch! He ate it!! He ate it!!"

A quick strip strike, and as the fish takes off, I look down to clear the line, and find that it is wrapped around the butt of the rod, and I have managed to put my left foot through a loop of line. A little fast dancing and the line is cleared as the Redfish takes off across the flat. I get the fish on the reel, and then hear the Captain say, "Russ, there's another one, 4 o'clock. Grab another rod."

My buddy Russ fumbles with a rod, trying to get it out of the tube, line stripped, and finally cast. Right on top of the fish. Surprisingly, the fish doesn't bolt, but instead, starts searching for the fly. Another couple of casts, and surprisingly, the fish eats, amid all of the commotion.

Double hookup! Redfish on fly. It doesn't any better than this!

Russ and I were fishing for three days with Captain Greg Dini of Flywater Expeditions, out of New Orleans. We had some pretty tough conditions. Very cold temperatures, and wind blowing 20-30 for two days. Wind calmed down some the third day, and we found some tailing fish, both Reds, as well as some monster Black Drum.

In spite of the rough conditions, we caught a number of 10-12 lb. Redfish, and I landed my personal best, a 23 lb. Red.

Russ caught the big fish of the trip, a MONSTER Black Drum. 46 lbs. We found a whole school of giant Black Drum tailing in three feet of water at the end of our third day. We only got one hookup before it got too dark to spot fish, but it was fun nonetheless.

For anyone looking for some fantastic Redfish fishing, I highly recommend Captain Greg Dini. Greg is very hard working, has a ton of experience, really knows the marsh, and will put you on fish.

The Biloxi Marsh holds some very big fish, and during the winter, the chance for a world record fish is a real possibility.

TaxPhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Greta pics and report!
reeljobmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
L I V I N - Livin

new orleans fishing guide

fantastic trip, congratulations.
BoldWater is offline   Reply With Quote