TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing Stories > Skinny Water Stories

Skinny Water Stories Thread, Tagged Redfish Fishing Report/Rod and Reel Review 10-21-10 in TribeNwater Fishing Stories; The purpose of this report is two-fold. First the fishing report: Had a chance to go out with Richard (skinnywater) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tagged Redfish Fishing Report/Rod and Reel Review 10-21-10

The purpose of this report is two-fold. First the fishing report: Had a chance to go out with Richard (skinnywater) on his kayaks near Bradenton in search of redfish on fly. Well it did not take us long to find reds...but getting them to eat a fly proved to be another story. After a few shots at some tailers with no luck, I switched over to my new Wright & McGill S-curve rod with a WM Sabalos 3000 (review to follow the report). There were mullet and whitebait everywhere so topwater (Mirr-O-Lure She Pup) was the choice for me. After wading a shoreline (and a close encounter with a 4 foot long bonnethead shark) I managed a 20" trout and a 30", 9 pound, redfish. The interesting thing about the redfish was it was my first tagged redfish ever caught. We called the 800 number and I should be receiving my "reward" package in a few weeks. The redfish was sent on his way in great shape with a much less-mossy spaghetti tag.

Now for the rod and reel review: The rod was the WM S-curve (7'9" Med Heavy) and the reel was a WM Sabalos 3000. Both performed awesome! The rod has a soft tip which allowed me to cast the small She Pup a mile and Mirr-O-Lure Mini-dine quite a long way, too. I was afraid that being a medium-heavy rod, it would feel like too much rod; not true. Yes, the rod has an awesome butt section to subdue larger sized fish, but it has a medium-light feel in the tip. Very little action, on my part, was needed to work a topwater effectively. The reel was nice and smooth and the drag sings like a champ when line is being peeled off. I had been debating whether or not to get the 7'6" Medium rod with a 2500 for my next combo....but after today....I think a twin of what I already have is in order from Dic*'s. Blair Wiggins isn't lying when he boasts about these rods on Addictive Fishing. And the price ($100 for the rod, $80 for the reel)....makes the combos a REAL value for your dollar.

Enjoy the pics.....

JOIN CCA!!
Shadowcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Trout

Nice! Good report.
Popfly is offline   Reply With Quote