TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Marine Field Guide

TribeNwater Marine Field Guide Thread, bhilly... in ; have a 55g tank, fresh right now, two pumps two filters wanna make it a river tank. please detail what ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

bhilly...

have a 55g tank, fresh right now, two pumps two filters wanna make it a river tank. please detail what I need to do. after hangin with d an alden I wanna let my kids catch contents for said river tank.

k
thks
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

It shouldnt be too hard, you can use most of the stuff you have now.

I would take out any gravel you have and go get wet beach sand from like waist deep water. Do not use the dry sand.

Take out any under gravel filters if you have those, and get a hang on back filter like a Aquaclear 500, they sell them at any petco/petsmart or other pet shops. You also need atleast one powerhead, to circulate the water, that is the life blood of the tank. If you make it up to my area I have a bunch of stuff I will give you, filter and pumps ect.....Plus still use what you have now. The more flow in the tank the better.

Sicne its a river tank, I would just pick a nice clean spot in the indian river and collect my water from there. It is way better than mixed tap water trust me. You only need ot collect the salt water once, the salt stays in the tank and only fresh water evaps, just top it off using dechlorinated tap water like you are doing now for the freshwater system.

Eventually you can add sea grass, algae ect and that will also help filter the water. You should take out any filter pads you have and replace them with just a panty hose filled with carbon. It works much better as a filter, just remeber to rinse the crude out of it a couple times a month.

Thats the simple way, there are other options too, depending on how elaborate you want to get. Let me know when you have more questions.

-Billy
Capt Billy Rotne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks dude.. gonna set up a 20g for the fresh water fish i have left then start the river tank. i will check what filtration system i have and the power heads too. will get back with more ???this weekend or monday.