TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Community > Tropical Plants/ Gardening

Tropical Plants/ Gardening Thread, Bamboo Crazy! in TribeNwater Community; Well what can you say??? For everyone interested in learning about something, I have included a quote from another website ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well what can you say??? For everyone interested in learning about something, I have included a quote from another website and there are many others. There is a place in New Symrna called Bountiful Earth. They have a huge collection and an amazing wealth of knowledge for those who are willing to listen!!
Raven, They have a description of many of the clumpers and their sizes and temperature parameters.

This clump is over 15 years old. It grows outward in a circle but does not send out runners. I only prune the driveway side which is as simple as snipping shoots as they come up. You can maintain a clump as small as you want. Keeping only the freshest nice looking culms.

Excerpt from Bountiful Earth website:
Choosing the right bamboo for your purpose: With over 1200 varieties of bamboo, one can usually be found to fit most needs. (Such as privacy, garden focal point, decorative yard plant, wind barrier, potted house plant, bonsai, soil retention, ground cover, forest grove, food, building material, crafts, instrument making, just to name a few!). Plants range from one foot ground covers to over one hundred foot giants, divided into two basic groups of running bamboo and non-invasive clumping bamboo. Be particularly mindful of the temperature extremes in your area and choose your plant accordingly. We have a minimum temperature field on our bamboo price list. These temperatures are the point that the plant may loose some or all of it’s leaves and are not necessarily temperatures that will kill the plant unless exposed over a long period.

Most plants recover fully from brief cold spells. Growing three times faster than most woody plants, bamboo can fill your needs quickly and beautifully.

bountiful_earth
Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have the Wamin Bamboo as well... very cool plant.
dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thank's , I went to the site,wow,I had no idea. Really nice stuff that will find it's way into the yard.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Bamboo forest

I remember walking through a forest of bamboo while I was in the Army. This was a wild and untrimmed area. Machete in hand to brush away the leafs and spiders. Found out the hard way that the tiny little "hairs" between the leafs and the stalks was worse than any commercial grade itching powder or fg insulation.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

What kind of temps can some of these take in the winter? Where I'm at in Texas we might have a few nights in the upper 20s, although this winter, we had only a couple nights at 32 that I can remember.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
What kind of temps can some of these take in the winter? Where I'm at in Texas we might have a few nights in the upper 20s, although this winter, we had only a couple nights at 32 that I can remember.

If you read the first page of this thread you'll see my diatribe about the negative aspects of bamboo that we had in our yard in Ft. Worth. It definitely gets colder in Ft. Worth than coastal Texas, and the bamboo there did fine.

OK, since my earlier post I've learned there are many species of bamboo, and some don't run like the species we had in our yard in Ft. Worth. I recently visited a friend who has clump type bamboo along a fence line and I love it!! In fact, we're thinking of putting some in our yard. Makes great privacy screens and looks nice too.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Boo.

Dude, you're not alone! I live on the west coast and grow more than twenty different speices of clumpers. Glad to see someone else has the bug. They also make excellent pushpoles.
Joe Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote