TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Community > Tropical Plants/ Gardening

Tropical Plants/ Gardening Thread, Bamboo Crazy! in TribeNwater Community; My wife says my fishing obsession is switching to Bamboo. I'm not sure about that, but I am spending more ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Bamboo Crazy!

My wife says my fishing obsession is switching to Bamboo. I'm not sure about that, but I am spending more time on land than I ever have and I have gone crazy for the many types of bamboo. When I bought my house ten years ago, it had some big stands on it and now they are bigger than ever. But the more I learn about it, the more I'm amazed by it's variety and growth rates. Many bamboo are runners and have sometimes given bamboo a bad name for taking over. There is an entire group of clumping bamboo that stay in a "clump" and can be easily managed in a small space. You can maintain a few culms(name for the stalks) as a specimen or let it go and get some screening for privacy. They do grow fast and that is a big part of the draw. A shoot bursts through the mulch and within 60 days it reaches it's full height whether thats 10 ft or 100ft. You can trim branches to expose the culms as much as you want. If you top a culm, it never gets any higher. Many can also be kept in pots. Here are a few picts of the highlights of the collection. I have gathered 14 different species of about 1200+ that are out there.
Does anyone else share this love of bamboo??
You will see that the black bamboo's come up green and then turn black with time.

Oldhami Bamboo

Hawian Greenstripe

Wamin Bamboo- This one stays knobby and 10ft

Tropical Black Bamboo

Timor Black Bamboo

Fishing Pole Bamboo

Blue Bamboo

Budda Belly Bamboo

Arrow Bamboo

Black Asper - This is a giant to be.

The Node of Black Asper

Angel Mist (White) Bamboo

Timber Bamboo - These are some fresh transplants. Some types can start new plants from cuttings that are buried at the node.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ali
Nobody

Very cool Scott!
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

What is the growth rate of that nobby one that only gets to 10 feet? It seems like it might be nice along my fence line.

jb
jonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat View Post
What is the growth rate of that nobby one that only gets to 10 feet? It seems like it might be nice along my fence line.

jb
It is slightly slower than some of the others, but still very cool. There are many shorter varieties that make good screens. The fishing pole makes a nice screen in my front yard and has taken years to reach14ft. It is a slow runner, but will spread out for you. It is not hard to control. There are short clumpers as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have had that wamin bamboo in my yard for 2 1/2 years and it doesn't seem to grow over 7 feet tall. Can I cut it and replant it ?
HELLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok, first of all, I would never have bamboo in my yard. That's one of the most invasive plants you can plant, their root system is like PVC piping that can extend to infinity and beyond. We bought a house in Ft. Worth in 1980 that had bamboo in the back by the pool; took me months to dig it all up and kill it.

However!!!, bamboo makes for great FREE push poles. One of my neighbors (actually Tom Gordon's inlaws) have bamboo in their yard and for 10 years I went over to their house a couple times a year and cut a couple 15-18ft. stalks, cleaned 'em up and used 'em for push poles. Then I got fancy and bought a Polecat pushpole.... I think the bamboo was better.

Every man needs a couple hobbies, one of yours just happens to be growing push poles. Congrats and good luck with that.

Last edited by phlatsphil; 10-01-2008 at 08:01 PM.
phlatsphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well it's true that the runners of the bamboo's have caused much greif, but the clumpers area totally different creature. You obviously were dealing with an aggressive runner.

About the Wamin, the ten ft mark is a general max height so it may take longer or it may not make it in it's current location. Don't cut it as you will have to start over with new culms. You might give it a shot of fertilizer. A palm fertilizer will work.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am getting ready to landscape my yard and hadnt even thought about bamboo! Some of those black and blue types look pretty cool.
Capt Billy Rotne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I remember the giant bamboo forests in Maui, just un-real brillant green. I also have thought of adding bamboo or sugar cane to my landscape,but was told "Never ever put it in the ground,only in pots." Do you know of a large stock that will clump and not run?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I also have thought of adding bamboo or sugar cane to my landscape,but was told "Never ever put it in the ground,only in pots." Do you know of a large stock that will clump and not run?
knowin you, your neighbors will love you for it.... then they'll hate you again.... when that stuff pops up in their yard. I don't believe there's a variety of bamboo that doesn't spread like wildfire. Stick to pot.... I mean pots.
phlatsphil is offline   Reply With Quote