Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing Stories > Blue Water Stories

Blue Water Stories Thread, Venice 10/16- 10/22 catching report in TribeNwater Fishing Stories; After a long summer of hell caused by BP. There was some light at the end of the tunnel on ...
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harvey La
Posts: 39
Venice 10/16- 10/22 catching report

After a long summer of hell caused by BP. There was some light at the end of the tunnel on Wednesday the 6th of October NOAA finally opened some water that we could tuna fish in. The day was spent on the phone and computer sending out emails and making phone calls. On the 8th I had the Steins in from Missisouri for some mangrove snapper fishing. This trip was planned for the summer but had to be put on hold and they still wanted to do it so the tuna would have to wait for another day. Everything went perfect the mangroves were fighting over the pieces of cut poagie that the red snapper let get down farther than a foot under the surface. Even with 40lb fluro we were able to win more than we lost and ended up with 25 mangroves from 5-11lbs and our 10 red snapper from 8-15lbs. With plenty of fish onboard we pointed the bow at the pass and headed home early. What a great feeling to finally be doing what I do, FISH.
On the 9th and 10th I had a long time client come in with a crew of all stars as Marsad put it. They had a marathon drive from ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Miamilace> to make it to the dock for Saturday morning but they made it on time. Marsad wrote a report of the trip and I can’t top it so I will cheat a little bit and cut and paste it." />>>
After a great three days of fishing I decided it was time to hit the deer woods since I didn’t have any trips until Saturday. What a bummer as the big fish behind the shrimpboats went crazy and multiple fish over 200lbs were caught. Of well I had the next days to make up for it.>>
On the 16th I had the Murdock’s in for some hopefully big tuna fishing. I gave a prediction of what we would do for the day I was right except I was short by about 70lbs. I told them we would have a 150 yellowfin and about 11 blackfin. Our yellow only weighed about 80 or so. The day was fun with all of the blackfin you wanted to catch. And way too many sharks to go along with them. Just about the time you forgot about the sharks you would get bit and lock up the 50W with 130 mono and heavy drag to have it get smoked but the run would always end up with the heavy head thrashing of a pissed off shark. Of well reel in and tie on another hook. >>
17th I had Jay Powell and his son and two of his buddies onboard. What Jay wanted to really see is how we livebait tuna fish in the summer.>>
So the 50w’s were taken off and the Torsa 40’s went on. We left out of south pass and made bait easier than I can remember in a very long time. With the well full in about 10 minutes we were off. The first rig we could see tuna busting when we were about a half mile away. Perfect or so I thought we only managed a cuda while the tuna were busting all around us. Well Jay started leaning at that point. It doesn’t matter how many fish are there if they don’t bite what you are offering leave. The next rig south was a complete dud. The one after that was a little better with Jay catching his first yellowfin. A nice 50-60lb summertime model. At that point it was either turn north and let the boys get some snapper and cobia or hit one more. I opted to hit one more rig, another lesson don’t get frustrated and give up to soon. The next rig was a good as it gets. As I pulled back the throttles I saw a nice fish bust. I threw a bait on its head and we tight. A second rod had a livebait pinned on it and it was immediately eaten. In the next 45 minutes there was never more than 20 seconds with out a fish on. Everyone caught there first tuna and bonus dolphin. We could have really put a hurting on the tuna if the 15lb dolphin would leave us alone. Out of the chaos we landed 7 yellowfin from 35-70 and 5 dolphin from 10- 15lb. You know everyone is tired when they decided to skip the easy snapper fishing on the way home. Not a bad day for three 14 year olds a father. >>
18th and 19th I had Franklin and his crew in from lace w:st="on">South Carolinalace>. I have fished with these guys for about five or so years now. They are the magic group that every captain has. No matter how bad the bite is they always make them bite. There mojo was not needed for this trip but I am sure it helped. I gave them the option of chase big fish and get anywhere from one to four shots plus some blackfin. Or we can run long and fish the 30-70lb fish and a few dolphin. The run for numbers was made and of course we did the same route as the day before. The only twist was the first spot gave us a 75lb yellowfin instead of our cuda from the day before. With that fish on ice we made a beeline for the hot rig from the day before. Once again it was just like taking candy from a baby. We did 17 yellowfin from 30-70lbs on livebait and topwater lures. We traded two yellows for a huge uncut ribeye, 20 pounds of steak for 80 pounds of tuna on the hoof seems like a good trade to me. The workboat wanted fish and I wanted the ribeyes. We ended the day early with a legal limit of yellowfin along with three dolphin. A pattern was noticed in what would make the fish hit. They were so focused in on flying fish that you had to throw the bait up high and let it hit the water hard. If you did that you would get an immediate bite 3 out of 4 tries. The 19th was a total repeat from the day before. Except the cudas were horrible along with the snake wahoo. We did box one wahoo that got greedy and didn’t cut us off. We couldn’t do anything right we had a double only to break one of and pull the hook on another. We did get revenge on a cow dolphin we, well I broke off trying to gaff it the day before. It now 1 in the afternoon with two yellows and two dolphin plus our wahoo in the box. The pressure was starting to build so I made a move I don’t know why I didn’t do earlier. But we moved over to a crewboat about 200 yards on the side of the rig. The first cast added another nice dolphin to the box. And the next ten livebaits added 10 more yellowfin. All in about a 20 minute timespan. Not a bad way to save the day. We ended the day with 12 yellowfin,3 dolphin, and a lonely wahoo. >>
Capt. Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0