Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing Stories > Blue Water Stories

Blue Water Stories Thread, Venice continuation in TribeNwater Fishing Stories; On the 20 th I had John Do in and we headed back to the spot from the last two ...
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harvey La
Posts: 39
Venice continuation

On the 20th I had John Do in and we headed back to the spot from the last two days. I was expecting a repeat but lace w:st="on">Mother Oceanlace> threw us a curveball with a nasty chop. The only thong biting was the cudas on livebaits. I had told John that jigs are not the best way to target yellowfin but I had to eat crow. Because without the jigs we might of come up empty handed. I know jigs will catch the smaller yellows the livebait is the best way to go about doing it. But on this day we caught 11 30-45lb yellowfin ALL ON JIGS. It helped to have excellent jig fisherman onboard to do it. As another boat with inferior jigs and jigging rods didn’t get on the bite like we did. No matter how long you do this you can always pick up a new trick or two.>>
With the off bite on livebait the following day with Matt Stone we decided to chase the shrimpboats. We started off boxing six or eight blackfin for bait and for eating fresh. Then we bounced around a couple more shrimpboats until we found the right one. The first yellow was a solid 90lb fish and everyone was in good spirits. Then we had to wade through a few more blackfin. Then we got the bite we were looking for. As the 50W was put into gear the fish was dumping it pretty good. A harness was put on Tate and the fight was on. We had to go through a few anglers but Andrew was the one to finish the fish off. Later back at Cypress Cove the fish weighed in at 174lbs. After that the bite died so we picked up and ran in to try for cobia. We managed one and then headed for the barn. Total for the day was 1 90lb and a 174 yellow and a 40lb cobia.>>
The last day of this string of trips was spent the same as the day before. Except the water was clean and we had 150 plus pound yellowfin boiling at our feet for the first part of the day. We pulled the hook on the first one broke the second one off. And did get the third bite into the boat a solid 90-100lb fish. We could have filled the boat it it’s gunnels with 15-20lb blacks but I was hunting big fish that day. Our next bite was as pretty as it could be. A 180 plus at a 2lb chunk of blackfin at the boat and screamed off. After about 20 minutes or so the fish settled down and I thought we would get him. The anglers fought the fish well. But we were robbed a major portion of the fish by a monster shark of some species. The head section weighed somewhere in the area of 120lbs or so. Once again the bite was over for the day but we stuck at it with no more love from the yellowfin. In the end we did put a few blacks in the box and not in the bait bucket. >>
It was a great run of trips with plenty of fish for everyone. I do have pictures but I will have to add them in later. I don’t have the computer skills to add them. So I will have to have my office manager (wife) pull them from the email. So now it’s off to the deer woods again. Until next time.>>
Capt. Mike>>
Capt. Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0