TribeNwater  

Go Back   TribeNwater > TribeNwater Fishing Stories > Blue Water Stories

Blue Water Stories Thread, Sailfishing 2/11/07... in TribeNwater Fishing Stories; Had the chance to get down and fish outta Ft. Lauderdale with my neighbor and his good friend Gregor. Was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sailfishing 2/11/07...

Had the chance to get down and fish outta Ft. Lauderdale with my neighbor and his good friend Gregor.

Was an interesting change of pace, from buying bait, to flying a kite, the whole fishery was new to me. With hopes of me finally getting a sailfish we cleared the inlet and looked for fishy water.

Lines in around 9am, and everything was perfect! Well, almost... We were lacking the fish! Finally after about an hour, a kingfish skied on the short kite bait and I managed a bonito on a butterfly jig on a spinner.

About noon we decided to relocate and found a nice rip/weedline and setup shop. Within 20 mins, we had a sail up under the kite bait and I got into position... Came tight on the fish, and before the clip popped, the line broke above the bimini... WTF?????

Reset the drift back out in 250' and at about 115' I see a shower of bait, then a nice 35-40# sail doing a backflip over our short flatline. Never did find the hook, but sweet aerial display!

Now it was getting late, reset 2 more times with only a short mutton I got while drifting. Decided to change baits one more time, and were about 15 mins. from calling it a day when I hear "FISH ON"... Drop what I'm doing, hurdle over to the other side of the boat and bring the drag up to strike. A nice sized sail had inhaled the long kite bait and was headed for the beach. Short run later, and there was nothing........ Reeled in the line, no bent hooks, no messed up wire, no idea what happened.

Decided to call it a day, I guess most would be a little upset going 0 for 3 on sails. But, I figured any weekend I'm not at the shop or stuck in class is a good day. And it's one more reason to get back down there!

One of these days I'll get one............
fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

At leat you had some action.....better to see 3 sails than see none all day! You'll get'um next trip.
lilharcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
L I V I N - Livin

Kite fishing

good jimmy.

kite fishing always a good time...lots of work.

BoldWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Love kite fishing down there
BORF is offline   Reply With Quote